The Nokia N9

The Nokia N9: "

The Nokia N9


The Nokia N9


The Nokia N9




I feel like, as an Apple lover, I need to share other ideas that are out there as well when it comes to electronics. There are a lot of potential competitors out there, but I wholeheartedly believe that no one has been able to match able in both hardware and software. But when I saw the new Nokia N9, I have to admit I was bit intrigued.


Physically, it looks really on brand for Nokia. It reminds me a lot of the old candy bar phones from the 90′s, which is totally a compliment. The form seems like it would be comfortable in your hand, and the back of the camera looks really clean and simple. Though one thing I noticed is the position of the camera, which may become covered by your hand easily.


The software seems to be pretty smooth, but not perfect in my mind. The field of icons on the home screen seems a bit overwhelming, though the icons themselves are rather well-crafted. I also like that there’s a screen that aggregates all your social networks and messages and notes and all that jazz. That said, it’s not very pretty, it’s quite mundane looking in fact.


Mundane is kind of how I’d describe the entire UI experience, sadly. The idea of swiping to get to other screens, and the lack of one physical button, is an interesting feature, but it certainly doesn’t make me giddy. It’s also interesting that they don’t seem to be showing the keyboard, which I think is a bit odd. Perhaps it’s not ready? There’s also a noticeable absence of phone calls or text messages, but yet again, this may be because it’s still early in production, I don’t know.


I’m highly doubtful that this will end up making a big splash, but I appreciate the effort at the very least. Between this and Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 (Microsoft innovating much more, in my opinion), hopefully we continue to see more explorations like this.

"

No comments:

Post a Comment